Sunday, July 12, 2009

Beginning c++ on a mac?

Sorry that this may be a double question but I need to do some point conservation here :)


Question 1: I'm going to get a mac very soon and I was start doing some C++ stuff on it. I don't know very much about the land of programming but I've done simple python, basic, stuff... Anyway, how would you get started programming on a mac? I would love to work with xcode but I don't know if that's too complicated for the stuff I'm going to do in the very beginning (c++ fundamentals).


And question 2: What would you recommend on learning how to work with xcode once I learn how to do the simple stuff? Like how to work with the gui (everything beyond terminal is what I'm trying to say).

Beginning c++ on a mac?
I don't own a Mac, but since Mac OS X is based off of BSD Unix. It should come with python, c/c++ (compliments of GCC), and some other languages installed. I do know there is a bash terminal installed, so you can use a text editor and use g++ to compile programs. Learning this way would allow you to use g++ on any platform that supports it, such as Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, etc.


You could also use this to do GUI programming. Since I am not familiar with Mac GUI programming or Xcode, I can't help you any futher than to say you could use Qt by Trolltech, which is a cross-platform API that will work on Mac, Windows, or Linux.





XCode is just an IDE for GCC and G++, so you might as well start there.

survey software

No comments:

Post a Comment